Sunday, September 28, 2008

Tarpon Fishing Story

About ten years ago I had landed the biggest fish that I had ever caught in my life, of course I was saltwater fishing and it was a tarpon. I was with my dad, my uncle, and my uncles friend on his huge ass 40 foot fishing boat, this thing was freaking huge. We were fishing off of the coast of fort Meyers florida, it was about 25 miles offshore. We were trolling all day and we were getting some bites, but not much. And I was young and naïve and kept talking about when I get that big fish on line I was going to reel that sucker in no problem. Man was that a mistake talking all of that crap.

So we were using some heavy duty fishing rods, it was so long ago that I can’t even remember what kinf of bait we were using, but on one of the big rods we got a huge hit. Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing ! Went the fishing line, and I immediately jumped out of my chair and grabbed the rod, the fish was on, it was a tarpon, and he was running for his life. For about 30 minutes I could not even get one reel in, the fish had kept running and wouldn’t stop. Finally he gave in a little bit and let me get a couple of reels in, he had circled me around the boat at least 20 times, I was fighting this tarpon for about 2 hours, and my ass was beat. But we finally got the tarpon up on the boat after two hours of battling this fish that had weighed more than I did, about 175 lbs.

Now I know that this isn’t a huge fish to some fisherman but for a 16 year old kid it was quite a catch. And no I do not have a picture of the fish anymore, I have no idea what I had done with it, so you are just going to have to take my word on this okay?

No comments: